Sunday, October 7, 2012

"Twix"ish bars

Yesterday was my husband's birthday (Happy Birthday Honey!) and I saw these in Coastal Living and I thought I would make them for him because I LOVE shortbread and I LOVE the combo of sweet and salty...they are inspired from a Twix bar, I know it was his birthday, not mine but these looked soo good in the picture I couldn't help it!
Coastal Living

 You start by making the shortbread layer...
then a layer of caramel...
(I had to buy a candy thermometer for this step, I felt kinda like a legit baker!)

and lastly the chocolate ganache with sounds fancy but is really some cream and melted dark chocolate
Now mine are not pretty ( I must have done something wrong, maybe they need some time in the fridge I think to firm them up) but they tasted YUMMY and you literally need a teeny tiny piece to satisfy your sweet (and salty tooth)
Here is the recipe if you want to try...
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
Flaky sea salt or kosher salt

Preparation
1. Beat butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl; gradually beat into butter mixture.
2. Press dough into a greased, aluminum foil-lined 9- x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
3. Combine sugar, 1/2 cup heavy cream, corn syrup, and butter in a 2-quart heavy pot. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 238° (just past soft ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
4. Combine remaining 1/2 cup cream and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; carefully pour into sugar mixture. (Mixture will bubble.) Boil util mixture returns to 238°. Pour over shortbread crust. Let stand at room temperature or refrigerate until caramel is firm.
5. Pour Chocolate Ganache over caramel, smoothing with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let stand in a cool place until chocolate is firm. Cut into bars.
Julia Dowling Rutland,
OCTOBER 2012
Careful because these will add some cushion in your back pockets:)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails